Search This Blog

Loading...

3/19/2013

Planet Saturn


The Sega Saturn is a special console to me, as it is one that epitomizes a lot of what defined and distinguished Sega during the 1990s. The Sega Mega Drive was what got me into video games and the Saturn to me was the perfect follow up and evolution, arguably the last pure hardcore video game system. There are a lot of unique gems for the system, and purely from a gameplay perspective they are timeless.

I've been collecting for the Japanese Sega Saturn for about two years now, because the Japanese system has a very large and impressive library of exclusive games, many of which are still relatively inexpensive to acquire today. I've always been a die-hard Sega fan and to me the Mega Drive and Saturn are the greatest video game consoles ever made, but if I had to choose between the two then I'd say the Saturn has the slight edge. 

For a number of reasons I never got to own the Saturn itself during its heyday as my family home had a PlayStation. I did however relentlessly pursue alternative means of playing many of the Saturn classics, mainly the Sega PC lineup of games which allowed to me enjoy PC ports of Saturn games like Sega Rally, Virtua Fighter, Virtua Cop, Sonic RHouse of the Dead, and many others. It's funny because I've always primarily been a console gamer and still am, but during that era I gamed a lot on the PC simply because of the Saturn games, and that was the most I would ever use a PC for gaming. Then there was of course the arcade, where I had many sessions of Daytona USA and Virtua Cop.



I've slowly been collecting and playing some really excellent titles for the Saturn over the past two years, and will continue to do so. I'm pretty picky, as I will only get games that I know I will set down and play for long hours. It's a purely Japanese collection, and collecting Japanese imports has been a bit of a niche hobby I picked up from a very early age (most if not all of my video game systems are Japanese, and no I don't speak a lick of the language). There are a number of reasons behind this, but in the case of my Saturn collection, it's simply because it is leaps and bounds cheaper than collecting for other regions. Case in point: The Japanese version of Panzer Dragoon Saga goes for a mere $15 whereas the European/North American version can go for $400 or more. 

I'll be doing some posts under Planet Saturn where I will share my experiences with the Sega Saturn. I will talk about some of my favorite games, what I've been playing recently, what I recently bought (and why), and just basically muse about my Saturn collection and gaming. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it clean, keep it cool